December 19, 2023

Free Lead Testing for Child Care Centers

A mom is washing her son's hands over the sink

There may be lead flowing in the water used at your Child Care Center, so it’s good to get it checked out, to make sure you, your co-workers and the children in your care aren't being negatively affected. According to the EPA, children can especially be impacted. Even consuming low levels of lead can influence behavior and IQ.

Did you know that if your Child Care Center was built before 2010 you need to check the lead levels in your water? This is based on Assembly Bill 2370 and the deadline was January 1, 2023. You can now be cited for it. Older pipes and faucets could be to blame as the source of the lead.

The good news is that the State of California is funding a program through the State Water Board and the California Department of Social Services, which may help you financially meet the safe drinking water requirements. Let’s make sure your drinking water and the water used for food prep are tested to make sure the lead levels are as close to zero as possible.

All are encouraged to apply because assistance is given as long as there are available resources and funds.

Once you meet the eligibility requirements, there are grants available to cover the cost of the following:

  1. Testing from assigned technicians: sample collection and lab analysis to measure the amount of lead
  2. Fixture Replacement
  3. Retesting

Don’t delay in applying today! Here’s how to do it:

  • Look up your Child Care Center in the Provider Portal here:

  • You will be prompted to complete the online eligibility form
  • You can check back with the status of the assistance and any pending actions

The R&R Network is assisting in the implementation of this program and here’s the contact information to support you at each step of the process:

  • Contact Tunisia Jackson at or Annette Gomez at
  • General questions about AB 2370 should email:
  • Questions on applying for services email OWP at:
  • Centers that have been approved to receive services should email questions regarding sampling appointments and scheduling to CRWA at